My frag tank was set up to after I had my 5.5 reef tank set up and the coral started to outgrow the tank. Admittedly, this isn’t the most elegant frag tank, but it serves its purpose and it’s in my basement anyways. I am using the same light I used on my seahorse tank way back. I have a decent amount of flow in this tank, and also have a makeshift “refugium” from an overhand power filter in the back of the tank. I don’t have any fish in the tank, and recently added a couple of trochus snails and scarlet red hermit crabs. There are also some other snails that I honestly don’t know where they came from or what they exactly are. They look like baby nassarius snails, so I first thought they may have been predatory whelks. After testing them with some limpets, I still don’t know for sure what they are, but they haven’t bothered the trochus snails so I’ve left them in there for now. The green ball in the picture above is chaeto, not hair algae.
I now use this tank as a frag/quarantine tank. The kenya tree coral in particular in my 5.5 gallon reef tank has definitely outgrown the tank. I need to frag it just to keep it in check, and because I hate killing things I started throwing the frags in this tank to grow them out. I haven’t decided what I’m eventually going to do with them, maybe I’ll just bring them to a local fish store who wants them. Besides the kenya tree coral, I’ve fragged my Xenia Coral and mushrooms. As I mentioned, I also use this tank to quarantine new corals or fish to my tank. This helps me make sure I’m not introducing anything I don’t want to my tank, and also allows me to check on the health of the animal.
The frag tank has an eggcrate platform I built with multiple layers so I could have lower light corals on the bottom. I also built an acrylic frag tray by drilling holes the size of frag plugs in it. This allows me to separate corals if I wanted to a little more. I also have a glass gar with some rock rubble and frag plugs that I’ve been testing with. Instead of using rubber bands to attach the coral to the plugs, I’ve been letting them attach themselves in the low flow protected jar. This worked especially well for mushrooms.